Motorists have forced open a closed section of the Buduburam–Kasoa stretch of the N1 Highway, which is currently undergoing rehabilitation, amid delays in the contractor’s efforts to meet a presidential directive to open the main carriageway to the public within four weeks.
Although the deadline has elapsed, the “opening” is now expected to be delayed by several more weeks, as work at the Buduburam and Bawjiase underpasses, as well as the Akoti Junction flyover, is yet to be completed.
Recent downpours have caused significant deterioration of service lanes still under construction, leading to a complete traffic standstill from Monday, May 20.
Frustrated motorists, unable to endure the long delays, forcefully removed barricades on the Buduburam–Kasoa-bound section of the main carriageway and began using the road.
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
A taxi driver, Dan Quaye, told Citi News: “We could no longer endure the situation, so we decided to move the concrete barricades to gain access. There was mild resistance from the construction workers, but we outnumbered them. Movement has improved slightly, but there is still heavy traffic approaching Buduburam from Kasoa.”
Drivers along the stretch say they have endured difficult journeys since the start of the project, affecting their daily earnings.
A “trotro” driver, Osei Prince, described using the road as “tormenting for drivers,” adding: “We are always repairing one part or the other. The main road is complete and could at least serve short-distance drivers, but the contractor blocked it with sand and stones. After experiencing Monday and Tuesday’s situation, we decided to remove the blockade and use the road.”
He added that while drivers welcome the construction works, they are concerned about the pace and management of the project, noting that they are losing revenue.
As of 11 a.m., when Citi News visited the area, several commuters were stranded and struggling to secure vehicles.
A commuter, Kweku Smith, said he had been at the bus stop for over two hours without getting an Accra-bound vehicle, adding that it has become a daily experience. He said he now has to wake up earlier than usual, which affects his sleep.
View pictures in App save up to 80% data.
On alternative routes, vehicles are frequently getting stuck, particularly along the Prisons Camp road.
A Kaneshie–Takoradi-bound bus that got stuck for over an hour which left passengers frustrated. The bus conductor told Citi News that passengers were growing impatient but acknowledged that it was not the driver’s fault, blaming the contractor and authorities for failing to improve the condition of alternative routes.
Reports of trucks overturning in the area have also been frequent. On Monday, one truck overturned, and another that went to assist also got stuck on Tuesday, worsening the traffic situation.
A truck driver, Abubakar Seidu, said: “The trucks keep falling. I just returned from Sampa, and my truck nearly fell. The surface of the road is uneven. We keep complaining, but no one listens.”
While the president’s timeline has not been met, some residents—while acknowledging that work is ongoing—say they remain hopeful that the project can be expedited.
Officials of the construction firm, Nag Fairmount, declined to speak officially to Citi News. However, it is understood that it may take a few additional weeks for the main sections to be opened to traffic.







Discussion about this post