The Electoral Commission (EC) says there are minors and foreigners among the 16.9 million persons it has so far registered to vote on December 7.
This comes days after the Commission patted itself on the back for the successful completion of the voters’ registration exercise.
Last week, the EC during its weekly update assured it is on course to deliver a credible election with a register comprising only Ghanaians.
But addressing the media, Chairperson of the EC, Jean Mensa who made the revelation said, measures are in place to clean up the register before the December polls.
“We are aware that a number of minors have found their way onto the register and we are confident that the challenge process initiated at all districts throughout the country will help deal with this illegality and rid the register of those who do not deserve to be there,” she said.
The compilation of a new voters’ register, which was met with stiff opposition from various civil society organizations and stakeholders was characterized by a handful of violence by supporters of the two major parties in the country.
Among other allegations, members of these political parties had accused each other of aiding minors and foreigners to partake in the exercise.
From gunshots at various registration centres to physical assaults, the exercise had resulted in the death of two people, countless injuries and arrests.
Regardless of these incidents, the Electoral Commission continues to tout the overall success of the exercise which was finally wrapped up with a two-day mop-up exercise on Saturday, August 8, and Sunday, August 9, 2020.
Speaking during today’s ‘Let the Citizens Know’ forum, Mrs Mensa expressed optimism that the register which would be used in the December polls will reflect only Ghanaians.