The West African Examinations Council (WAEC) has released the provisional results of candidates who sat for the 2023 Basic Education Certificate Examination (BECE).
However, the scripts of 22,270 candidates in certain subjects are being scrutinised for reported cases of mass cheating.
In a statement dated November 9, 2023, announcing the release of the results, WAEC said the results might be cancelled or released based on the outcome of investigations.
WAEC also said it had cancelled the subject results of “312 school candidates and three private candidates for bringing foreign materials, namely, prepared notes, textbooks and printed materials into the examination hall or colluding with other candidates”.
Moreover, the council said the entire results of 41 school candidates and one private candidate had been cancelled for the possession of mobile phones in the examination hall.
A statement signed by the Head of Public Affairs of WAEC, John Kapi, said the council was also withholding the subject results of 180 school candidates and four private candidates for various suspected offences.
The entire results of 110 school candidates and two private candidates are also being withheld for various suspected offences.
A total of 600,900 candidates, made up of 300,404 males and 300,496 females from 18,993 participating schools, entered for the school examination.
This figure includes 53 candidates with visual impairment, 366 with hearing impairment and 54 candidates with other special educational needs.
The examination was conducted at 2,137 centres across Ghana.
Out of the total number, 3,366 candidates were absent.
The BECE for Private Candidates recorded a total entry figure of 1,839 candidates.
This was made up of 942 males and 897 females. Fifteen centres, mostly in the regional capitals, were used for the conduct of the examination.
Out of the total number of candidates who entered for the examination, 61 were absent.
The council cautioned all stakeholders to be wary of fraudsters who ‘promise to upgrade results for a fee and that “candidates are to note that WAEC results are secured and can be authenticated”.
“The council will despatch the results of school candidates to their respective schools through the Metropolitan/Municipal/District Directors of Education.
“The results for Private Candidates can be accessed at the council’s website www.waecgh.org.
“School candidates who so desire may also access their results online at the Council’s website,” it said.
The 2023 BECE candidates were the last batch of final-year junior high school students that were taken through the Objective Based Curriculum.
The current batch of form three JHS students who are undertaking the Standard Based Curriculum would, therefore be the first batch to write the BECE with the curriculum in July next year.
In January this year, the Ghana Education Service (GES) directed heads of basic schools not to repeat any student from last year (2022) JHS 2 from going to JHS 3.
A letter dated January 17, 2023 and signed by the Deputy Director General, Dr Kwabena Bempah Tandoh, noted that the then JHS 3 students (those that completed this year) were the last batch of the Objective-Based Curriculum who will write the BECE this year (2023).
It, therefore, said the JHS 2 students (now in form three) were the first batch who will write BECE in 2024 using the Standard-Based Curriculum.
The standards-based curriculum is a curriculum system implemented by many developed countries across the world.
A unique characteristic of the standards-based curriculum is its precise calibration of student knowledge and competency at each grade level, known as content standards or grade-level expectations.