Ashanti Regional Minister, Dr. Frank Amoakohene, has backed the Inspector General of Police’s(IGP) decision to withdraw the task force that had been enforcing environmental regulations in mining communities, especially in the fight against illegal mining, popularly known as galamsey.
According to the minister, while the task force was effective in carrying out operations, its approach sidelined key local stakeholders such as Metropolitan, Municipal and District Chief Executives (MMDCEs), regional ministers, and traditional authorities.
Dr. Amoakohene stressed that security management cannot be centralised since community relations are built on dialogue and collaboration at the local level.
He added that with the new reforms, the government will be able to better integrate community structures, giving locals a greater sense of ownership in the fight against illegal mining and environmental destruction.
“With the reforms, we should be able to integrate well and let the locals own the fight, i.e the assemblies and the chiefs,” he emphasised.
An audio recording of the Chairman of the Small-Scale Miners Association, Kojo Peprah, surfaced on the evening of August 27, 2025, indicating that the IGP’s task force had been dissolved effective August 27, 2025.
“As I speak, the IGP’s task force has been dissolved. The task force has been recalled, so whoever comes to your site and says that they are a task force, report for the person to be arrested,” he said in the audio.
Source: CNR
Discussion about this post